HistoryFrom an article in the May 30,1994 'Leader' following an appeal for memorabilia by club president Ian Wallis:-
Originally tennis was played on courts at local residences. Tennis players also had the use of a court at the residence of James Greenwood in King Street, adjacent to the present tennis club courts.
Pre World War I tennis was played on courts at Maidstone Park which was developed by Phillip Davis for the hundreds of picnickers who came by train, coach and car from Lower Hutt and Wellington.
There was a problem with the ground being swampy and in the late 1920 the tennis club planned to build a pavilion in Pine Avenue. About that time the local bowling club was in financial difficulty and the two organisations got together and the tennis club paid the outstanding debts and moved into the bowling club's King Street facility, which also had croquet greens as part of its operation.
For many years the club continued as a combined bowling, tennis and croquet club with its own seal.
Among the memorabillia was a printed invitation card to the tennis club silver jubilee in 1935-36 which means the club dates from around 1910, a key date Mr Wallis wanted to know as it was believed the club would turn 100 this decade.
Leader, 31/5/2000.The tennis pavilion was to be demolished, and the clubs would share rooms.
The tennis club would replace three sub-standard Flexipave courts with two Astrograss courts, and the bowlers would establish an all-weather Astrograss green on land previously occupied by an asphalt tennis court and an adjacent Exchange Street house. The project would cost $650 000.
Recollect has two undated photos of a King Street house being removed to make way for tennis courts.
The club found itself without clubrooms or courts when it split from the bowling club in 2014. Diggers tore up the old courts, and the club were left having to use Maidstone Intermediate's courts. This was mentioned in a March 2, 2016 'Leader' article. The accompanying picture showed members at their four new courts at Maidstone Park.